Employment in

Employment in Gibraltar

If you wish to work in Gibraltar, you must be registered with the Tax Office and with the Department of Social Security, and complete a tax return on an annual basis.

If you are unfairly dismissed from your employment, you may apply to the Employment Tribunal for an award of compensation, or reinstatement to your previous position. You must have been employed for a minimum of 1 year to make a claim for unfair dismissal.


If you bring your foreign-registered vehicle to Gibraltar and become a resident, you will need to re-register the car with a local number plate and pay the appropriate import duty, unless you are exempt. The vehicle will need to undergo an MOT test every two years.

You must also exchange your foreign driving licence for a Gibraltar driving license.


Children of residents are entitled to register their children in public schools and apply for a grant to attend university in the United Kingdom and the rest of Europe. Gibraltar also has its own university, details of which can be found at https://www.unigib.edu.gi/


The information on this website is for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. No liability is accepted for the accuracy of the contents of these pages.